Friday, June 20, 2008

Phantom



As many of you know, I am a season ticket holder to Tulsa's PAC. This is one of the perks I buy myself each year from my National Board stipend. Now, I normally love these performances...Mama Mia, Man of La Mancha (which I'm still singing), the Ten Tenors...and I can't wait for next season...The Drowsy Chaperone, The Pajama Game & Wicked (YEAH!!!). Last night was Phantom of the Opera. FYI, I don't like Phantom. I know, I know. I must have some type of cultural deficiency. How in the world could I not enjoy this.

But what makes this even more "Geneva-esque" is that I know I don't like Phantom. In fact, I've seen it before...say 12 years or so ago at the Fox Theatre in STL. At that time, I pretended that it was 'ok, but not a favorite', but I really didn't care for it. And I remembered this. At the beginning of the season, when we got our tickets I even told my sister, "I really don't want to see Phantom again. I think I'll give mom my ticket & watch the kids for you & Tony." But then this week I thought, "I don't want to watch the kids, I'll just go." Big, Huge, GIGANTIC mistake.

I discovered that it wasn't that I do not care for it as well as other B-way plays...I flat out don't like it. I was board out of my head. Did I mention BORING??? In fact at intermission, I looked at my sister & said "If I didn't think you guys would tease me forever, I would go read my book in the car." Ed looked at me & said, "Oh we wouldn't tease you...forever, anyway."

Anyway, I sat through Act 2 dreamin' of...


Now tell me doesn't this sound like a much better use of a Friday night.

So just for fun, let's take a poll in the comments section. Which would you rather do...watch Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom of the Opera or read Auch's Bantam of the Opera? Come on guys, it will only take a second...so vote!!

As you know, I vote Bantam!

7 comments:

Mom said...

I would watch. Because I have never seen it before. Then I might be bored

itsjoni said...

I ditto Mom's comment. I would opt to read a book too or better yet scrap book on my computer.

Jeanne said...

Hmmm... I love the music from Phantom but the storyline has always "just missed". And that book looks pretty good.
I vote - listen to the music while reading the Bantam book.

The Bass Family said...

I'm awful G... I love phantom and I am going July 2nd. I love the movie, I love the soundtrack and I can't wait to see it at the PAC. I guess you could just say that I am boring! :)

MrsK said...

I have not seen the Andrew Lloyd Weber production, but if you had ever seen the Silent Film (1925) starring Lon Chaney with Dennis James playing the Mighty Wurlitzer Pipe organ in accompaniment, I'm sure you would change your "tune". I don't think you would want to read a book. If Dennis James is ever giving an organ concert in your area you should go hear him. He is awesome. Here is a link to learn more about him. http://www.silentera.com/people/musicians/James-Dennis.html. I still love you even if you wouldn't like the silent film.

Paula said...

please dont let Codie know This is one of her favorite movies. And this is as close as I will get to have codie be girlie. LOL We are going July 10th. Lets hope she can sit thru it.

Cinda said...

My girls love it and will watch with them. However, I am interested in adding the book to my reading list!